Need advice on leds circuit design!

Hello! i’m trying to design an diy grow light at home and new to design electronic schematic in general. I would love second pairs of eye to help proofread my circuit design and would love suggestion how to make it better. This is what i currently have. Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Hmm. For the left circuit with the white XL-1608UWC-04 leds. How did you come up with that 10 ohm resistor?

Usually running all the LEDs in parallel after a single resistor is not advised due to the slight manufacturing differences in the LED dies.

I like this calculator cause it will draw out the schematic as well. https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-articles/led-parallel-series-calculator

This calculator has the ability to setup the circuit like you are showing though.

You will need atleast a 1W resistor and I suggest a 1.5W resistor for some safety heat factor.

For the right circuit, U2 ( LED XL-3216IRC-940 ) will have a very bad day when you apply 5 V. This LED has a forward voltage of 1.5 V, so it will suck all power out of your supply, up to its current limit, and light up very bright for a very short time. It might even blind JWST and make a lot of scientist angry :wink:
The datasheet parameter you were looking at is reverse voltage of 5 V.

And even if you have an LED with 5 V forward voltage, hooking it up to 5 V without a current limiting resistor is very damaging, fi the supply is not tightly current limited to the max current of the LED. This is not possible in your case with multiple LEDs in parallel needing much more current.

PS: What are you trying to grow?

1 Like

Hi Parker! Thank you so much for all the resources! they are very helpful. I made some changes and now updating them to my v2

Hahaha Thanks for the reminding me to always connect to the resistance. I’m trying to expedited the sprout rate of seeds. and also possibly growing lettuces and greens at home !

Here is the update fellas!

Updated! After received feedbacks across different platforms, I decided to make some changes on this version.

1. Changed my Voltage input 12 V 1.5A instead of 5 V. I’m trying to keep the current uses to drive the circuit low.
  2. Got rid of the UV and IR LEDs
  3. Increased numbers of LEDs on the board to increase watt per square foot.

Here is a screenshot of the V2 of my circuit.

r/led - V2 (07/25/2024)

V2 (07/25/2024)

Let me know what you think! Would love all the comments and suggestions!

I would just make sure you calculate the wattage rating for the resistors and then pick a 270 ohm part that is around double that wattage. Should work!